General Guidelines/Tips

Hello all,

I am currently at my internship where I have to implement a ManageIQ environment with certain features. I’ve got a part of my Service Dialogs working, users can request Services which are deployed from our vCenter. However I still need to implement the same features on a Hyper-V environment. I might run into a few roadblocks:

• Users need to set up a remote console to their Services/VM’s. (Got that working with HTML5 and vCenter). Is this much different from a Hyper-V environment?

• Users should be able to handle their power-states for their own virtual machines/services. This would be nice if that works through the Self Service portal.

• And the last thing; It would be nice if users will be able to mount/dismount ISO’s during their own installation of their virtual machines. (Templates won’t work in our dynamic environment). Same question, is this even possible throughout the Self Service Portal? Like a dynamic dropdown menu for ISO files or something like that.

Thanks in advance guys!

@chriskacerguis can you review this question from @Oxyle and forward to another SME if necessary.

it is possible to control access to the power on buttons:

I had the same question:

Hello @Oxyle,

Thanks for getting in touch with us. I can help with 2 of your questions…

RE: Users need to set up a remote console to their Services/VM’s.

@blomquisg could you answer this one?

RE: Users should be able to handle their power-states for their own virtual machines/services.

This feature will be available in the E release of MIQ (currently in Beta)

RE: It would be nice if users will be able to mount/dismount ISO’s during their own installation of their virtual machines.

Currently, you cannot do that in the Self Service UI. It’s a good idea, I’ll pass it along to our team.

@chriskacerguis

Hi Chris,

Thanks for taking the time to anwser a few of my questions! :thumbsup:

Last question, I will be attaching a SCVMM server to our ManageIQ server soon, is it possible to get a console through HTML or something like VMware offers yet? Since some of my co-workers tell me that would not be possible yet.

Regards,
Kevin

Hi Kevin,

That’s not possible yet :slight_smile:

Chris

Alright, thanks for all your help @chriskacerguis !

ManageIQ seems like a real challenge to implement here at my internship. First time I’ve ever been in contact with a product like this. It is a different approach than Microsoft has to offer with their System Center suite.

Last question for you, if I may? :slight_smile:

We require to do some virtual billing on this location so users will be aware of what they’re using.

I followed a few guides, and Google’d quite a bit to find some help.

Every time I try to run a Chargeback report, I get the following “error”…

And these are the settings I’ve made in my current test lab…

I’ve tagged all the relative Catalog Items, User groups/Users and even storage, hypervisors and vCenter. I’ve read that it might take a while to get C&U to pick up it stuff and start generating “more useful reports” for me?

Any advice? Thanks in advance!

Kevin

@gtanzillo can you address the Chargeback question?

@chriskacerguis and @gtanzillo, I’ve fixed the issue with empty reports being generated. It just took a few hours before it started filling itself up with useful information.

However if I want to use the column with “Used Storage” it gives me incorrect values. It displays that my VM is 2.8-2.9TB big, even though it uses 28GB space…

Is there any way to force the update of these setting instead of waiting for a lot of hours?

Hi @Oxyle, the only reason I can think of for why your report didn’t populate initially is that you may not have collected enough Capacity & Utilization metrics when you initially ran the report. This would be the case if you ran the report shortly after enabling C&U collection.

As for the incorrect storage usage, this is a known bug that we have recently fixed. If you pull down the latest code from master and run the report again you should see the correct value.

Hey @gtanzillo I’ve just tried doing that… Getting the following error:

[details=Output]== Updating database ==
rails aborted!
LoadError: cannot load such file – util/vmdb-logger
/root/manageiq/lib/vmdb/loggers.rb:1:in <top (required)>' /root/manageiq/lib/vmdb/logging.rb:1:in<top (required)>’
/root/manageiq/config/application.rb:90:in <class:Application>' /root/manageiq/config/application.rb:17:inmodule:Vmdb
/root/manageiq/config/application.rb:16:in <top (required)>' /root/manageiq/Rakefile:5:inrequire’
/root/manageiq/Rakefile:5:in <top (required)>' bin/rails:4:inrequire’
bin/rails:4:in `’
(See full trace by running task with --trace)

== Command [“bin/rails db:migrate”] failed ==
[/details]

And if I run this with --trail:

[details=Summary][root@manageiq manageiq]# bundle exec rake evm:compile_assets --trace
rake aborted!
LoadError: cannot load such file – util/vmdb-logger
/opt/rubies/ruby-2.2.5/lib/ruby/gems/2.2.0/gems/activesupport-5.0.0.1/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:293:in require' /opt/rubies/ruby-2.2.5/lib/ruby/gems/2.2.0/gems/activesupport-5.0.0.1/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:293:inblock in require’
/opt/rubies/ruby-2.2.5/lib/ruby/gems/2.2.0/gems/activesupport-5.0.0.1/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:259:in load_dependency' /opt/rubies/ruby-2.2.5/lib/ruby/gems/2.2.0/gems/activesupport-5.0.0.1/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:293:inrequire’
/root/manageiq/lib/vmdb/loggers.rb:1:in <top (required)>' /opt/rubies/ruby-2.2.5/lib/ruby/gems/2.2.0/gems/activesupport-5.0.0.1/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:293:inrequire’
/opt/rubies/ruby-2.2.5/lib/ruby/gems/2.2.0/gems/activesupport-5.0.0.1/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:293:in block in require' /opt/rubies/ruby-2.2.5/lib/ruby/gems/2.2.0/gems/activesupport-5.0.0.1/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:259:inload_dependency’
/opt/rubies/ruby-2.2.5/lib/ruby/gems/2.2.0/gems/activesupport-5.0.0.1/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:293:in require' /root/manageiq/lib/vmdb/logging.rb:1:in<top (required)>’
/opt/rubies/ruby-2.2.5/lib/ruby/gems/2.2.0/gems/activesupport-5.0.0.1/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:293:in require' /opt/rubies/ruby-2.2.5/lib/ruby/gems/2.2.0/gems/activesupport-5.0.0.1/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:293:inblock in require’
/opt/rubies/ruby-2.2.5/lib/ruby/gems/2.2.0/gems/activesupport-5.0.0.1/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:259:in load_dependency' /opt/rubies/ruby-2.2.5/lib/ruby/gems/2.2.0/gems/activesupport-5.0.0.1/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:293:inrequire’
/root/manageiq/config/application.rb:90:in <class:Application>' /root/manageiq/config/application.rb:17:inmodule:Vmdb
/root/manageiq/config/application.rb:16:in <top (required)>' /root/manageiq/Rakefile:5:inrequire’
/root/manageiq/Rakefile:5:in <top (required)>' /opt/rubies/ruby-2.2.5/lib/ruby/gems/2.2.0/gems/rake-10.5.0/lib/rake/rake_module.rb:28:inload’
/opt/rubies/ruby-2.2.5/lib/ruby/gems/2.2.0/gems/rake-10.5.0/lib/rake/rake_module.rb:28:in load_rakefile' /opt/rubies/ruby-2.2.5/lib/ruby/gems/2.2.0/gems/rake-10.5.0/lib/rake/application.rb:689:inraw_load_rakefile’
/opt/rubies/ruby-2.2.5/lib/ruby/gems/2.2.0/gems/rake-10.5.0/lib/rake/application.rb:94:in block in load_rakefile' /opt/rubies/ruby-2.2.5/lib/ruby/gems/2.2.0/gems/rake-10.5.0/lib/rake/application.rb:176:instandard_exception_handling’
/opt/rubies/ruby-2.2.5/lib/ruby/gems/2.2.0/gems/rake-10.5.0/lib/rake/application.rb:93:in load_rakefile' /opt/rubies/ruby-2.2.5/lib/ruby/gems/2.2.0/gems/rake-10.5.0/lib/rake/application.rb:77:inblock in run’
/opt/rubies/ruby-2.2.5/lib/ruby/gems/2.2.0/gems/rake-10.5.0/lib/rake/application.rb:176:in standard_exception_handling' /opt/rubies/ruby-2.2.5/lib/ruby/gems/2.2.0/gems/rake-10.5.0/lib/rake/application.rb:75:inrun’
/opt/rubies/ruby-2.2.5/lib/ruby/gems/2.2.0/gems/rake-10.5.0/bin/rake:33:in <top (required)>' /opt/rubies/ruby-2.2.5/bin/rake:23:inload’
/opt/rubies/ruby-2.2.5/bin/rake:23:in <top (required)>' /opt/rubies/ruby-2.2.5/lib/ruby/gems/2.2.0/gems/bundler-1.13.2/lib/bundler/cli/exec.rb:74:inload’
/opt/rubies/ruby-2.2.5/lib/ruby/gems/2.2.0/gems/bundler-1.13.2/lib/bundler/cli/exec.rb:74:in kernel_load' /opt/rubies/ruby-2.2.5/lib/ruby/gems/2.2.0/gems/bundler-1.13.2/lib/bundler/cli/exec.rb:27:inrun’
/opt/rubies/ruby-2.2.5/lib/ruby/gems/2.2.0/gems/bundler-1.13.2/lib/bundler/cli.rb:332:in exec' /opt/rubies/ruby-2.2.5/lib/ruby/gems/2.2.0/gems/bundler-1.13.2/lib/bundler/vendor/thor/lib/thor/command.rb:27:inrun’
/opt/rubies/ruby-2.2.5/lib/ruby/gems/2.2.0/gems/bundler-1.13.2/lib/bundler/vendor/thor/lib/thor/invocation.rb:126:in invoke_command' /opt/rubies/ruby-2.2.5/lib/ruby/gems/2.2.0/gems/bundler-1.13.2/lib/bundler/vendor/thor/lib/thor.rb:359:indispatch’
/opt/rubies/ruby-2.2.5/lib/ruby/gems/2.2.0/gems/bundler-1.13.2/lib/bundler/cli.rb:20:in dispatch' /opt/rubies/ruby-2.2.5/lib/ruby/gems/2.2.0/gems/bundler-1.13.2/lib/bundler/vendor/thor/lib/thor/base.rb:440:instart’
/opt/rubies/ruby-2.2.5/lib/ruby/gems/2.2.0/gems/bundler-1.13.2/lib/bundler/cli.rb:11:in start' /opt/rubies/ruby-2.2.5/lib/ruby/gems/2.2.0/gems/bundler-1.13.2/exe/bundle:34:inblock in <top (required)>’
/opt/rubies/ruby-2.2.5/lib/ruby/gems/2.2.0/gems/bundler-1.13.2/lib/bundler/friendly_errors.rb:100:in with_friendly_errors' /opt/rubies/ruby-2.2.5/lib/ruby/gems/2.2.0/gems/bundler-1.13.2/exe/bundle:26:in<top (required)>’
/opt/rubies/ruby-2.2.5/bin/bundle:23:in load' /opt/rubies/ruby-2.2.5/bin/bundle:23:in'
[/details]

Any help? :frowning:

EDIT: Resolved, updating seemed to help the total amount of allocated storage! Thanks!