How to clone VM (not template) via REST api?

Hi

I am trying to trigger a provision_request via REST api to clone an existing VM (not template) to another VM. Similar to what the Lifecycle menu “Clone this VM” can do. I have the guid of my source VM in template_fields:

“template_fields” : {
“guid” : “c9e4740e-c392-11e5-8c35-2cc2603d7015”
},

But it always failed with error

{
“error”:{
“kind”: “internal_server_error”,
“message”: “No source template was found from input data:<{:guid=>“c9e4740e-c392-11e5-8c35-2cc2603d7015”}>”,
“klass”: “RuntimeError”
}
}

It works when I use the guid of an actual template. What is the proper format to clone an existing VM?

Thanks

Below is the whole body of the REST call

{
“version” : “1.1”,
},
“vm_fields” : {
“number_of_cpus” : 1,
“vm_name” : “eric_rest_vm1”,
“vm_memory” : “1024”,
“vlan” : “VM Network”
},
“requester” : {
“user_name” : “admin”,
“owner_first_name” : “Eric”,
“owner_last_name” : “Chong”,
“owner_email” : "myemail@example.com",
“auto_approve” : true
},
“tags” : {
},
“additional_values” : {
},
“ems_custom_attributes” : { },
“miq_custom_attributes” : { }
}

Get a little further when I specify the request type as follow

“request_type” : “clone_to_vm”,
},

Now I got a different error in response

{
“error”:{
“kind”: “internal_server_error”,
“message”: “undefined method `datacenter_name’ for #ManageIQ::Providers::Vmware::InfraManager::Vm:0x000000044a10d8”,
“klass”: “NoMethodError”
}
}

I’m very interested in this to.

In the template field does this work:

{
“name” : “VMname”

I use this when deploying from template, as GUID is just ugly.

I ran a simular request in my enviorment and got the same error. Guess cloning VM isn’t available yet. Ironic that I keep reading that the REST API has met paritiy with the SOAP API of yesteryear.

I opened a case with Red Hat on this feature on CloudForms and the support got the same error. They are opening a bug report. Will post update once I get a response.

Thanks for the update

Just an update. Support said it is fixed in ManageIQ upstream release. CloudForms fix will be coming in future patch release.

@ecchong, do u have any tutorial for how to work with rest API of manageIQ? Also how to get these parameters and everything?

Thanks

I am no expert, but you can find info in the REST API doc for CloudForms

Also, I use DHC REST client plug-in for Chrome to make it easier to troubleshoot.

Hi @adlinix, @ecchong,

There is a tool in the tools directory of manageiq called rebuild_provision_request.rb. It could possibly help in troubleshooting your REST api calls into Automate.

The Pull Request is here: #9957.

The description in the PR covers how the help menu works and includes some simple examples.

If you have any other questions about it I’d be glad to help.

~Drew

Can you give the full example for clone vm from template via rest api?

Hi @oguzy,

There is a tool called rebuild_provision_request.rb in the tools directory.

If you run it with the last last_requests flag it will pull up a list of the last 5 provision requests:

rails runner tools/rebuild_provision_request.rb --last-requests

You can re-run any of those requests passing in the id:

rails runner tools/rebuild_provision_request.rb --request-id=<request id>

Including the console flag will allow you to see output that you can run in the rails console.

Using that output will re-run the request using the Rest API (via RestClient.)

As an aside, sometimes you have to require rest_client in the console before running the RestClient.post command.

rails runner tools/rebuild_provision_request.rb --request-id=<request id> --console

The output using the console flag is probably the best way to work through issues cloning a vm from a template via the rest api.

Here is a sampling of the --console output:

RestClient.post 'http://user:pass@localhost:3000/api/provision_requests', '{"version":"1.1","template_fields":{"guid":"bbbb-ccc-ddd-12345","name":"test1","request_type":"template"},"vm_fields":{"sysprep_server_license_mode":"perServer","sysprep_identification":"domain","sysprep_per_server_max_connections":"5","sysprep_workgroup_name":"WORKGROUP","addr_mode":"dhcp","sysprep_change_sid":true,"sysprep_auto_logon":true,"sysprep_enabled":"disabled","sysprep_auto_logon_count":1,"placement_auto":true,"number_of_vms":1,"vm_name":"test-run","provision_type":"vmware","vm_auto_start":true,"retirement":0,"retirement_warn":604800,"vlan":"VM Network","disk_format":"unchanged","cpu_limit":-1,"memory_limit":-1,"number_of_sockets":1,"cores_per_socket":1,"cpu_reserve":0,"vm_memory":"1024","memory_reserve":0,"network_adapters":1},"requester":{"owner_first_name":"d","owner_last_name":"b","owner_email":"db@test.com"},"tags":{},"additional_values":null,"ems_custom_attributes":null,"miq_custom_attributes":null}'

For further help with the tool you can run rails runner tools/rebuild_provision_request.rb -- --help

Service catalog with instance type