How to create hybrid cloud

Hi
I am new to cloud management and manageIQ. I am running manageIQ from the instance on openstack. I want to create a hybrid cloud with openstack and EC2. How this can be done?
I have added openstack and EC2 account in cloud provider, but I am not sure how this creates a hybrid cloud. Can anyone provide a good insight how manageIQ create hybrid cloud with openstack and EC2 ?

Thanks

Hello anil987,

First of all you should share with us what do you want to do, then we can try to guide you in doing that.

One thing manageIQ can do in order to help you have a Hybrid cloud is provisioning machine in Openstack or in EC2 , depending if you say they are for testing or for production.You just choose “Test” or “Production” and then manageIQ go and make the provisioning.

Just Note ,that some of this things doesn’t come out of the box.

In order to start you can reade the doc “Lifecycle and Automation Guide” ( http://manageiq.org/pdf/ManageIQ-0-Lifecycle_and_Automation_Guide-en-US.pdf )

Thanks Pablohalamaj
I think, the question asked by me is bit unclear. So here I am elaborating the question

I am running openstack in my Ubuntu 14.04 machine and I have launched an instance into it. A web application is running on this instance. This way I have created my private cloud. The same web application is running on Amazon public cloud. Now I want to create a hybrid cloud using these two clouds.

I searched on internet and found that ManageIQ is an opensource and has the capability to do that but I don’t know how it can create hybrid cloud. To give it a try, I followed the link http://manageiq.org/download/openstack/ and I am successfully able to log into the ManageIQ dashboard in the web browser. Then I followed http://manageiq.org/documentation/top-tasks/#add-red-hat-openstack-providers to add openstack and this link http://manageiq.org/documentation/top-tasks/#discover-amazon-ec2-providers to add EC2.

I doubt that just adding the accounts to ManageIQ creates hybrid cloud. So, what else I have to do create a hybrid cloud. I searched on internet but all the efforts does not produce any useful result.

I have yet not gone through the pdf but planning to go through it. I have one more question from your post. First of all I want to have hybrid cloud for testing and proof of concept purpose and after that I want it for production. So from where I can choose “Test” or “Production” ? Does this means that I have to install ManageIQ from some other link which gives the option of choosing between “Test” or “Production”? The way I have launched ManageIQ is correct or not?

Please provide some help so that I can finish this task as soon as possible.

Hello anil987, i still doesn’t understand what is that you mean with “hybrid cloud”

So i will try to describe what I know manageIQ does.

Note: I work for a Red Hat Partner , so most of my knowledge comes from working with CloudForms which is the Red Hat’s version of ManageIQ.

Some things that ManageIQ does:

– Centralized Control of all your Clouds: You can order ManageIQ to create some infraestructure of VMs and decide where to build it ( your providers )
— In this case ManageIQ abstract you from the API of the providers and let you focus on one API ( ManageIQ’s one ).

– keep some monitoring over your Providers
– Increase the number of the VMs in instance of Openstack or VMWare or others , if detect the CPU use is over some threshold

Some Thins ManageIQ doesn’t do (atleast not out-of-the-box):

– Build network tunnels between clouds in order to let the networks in them comunicate.
– move VMs from one clooud to other

Remember, manageIQ has a place for methods and automation that will let you make your own methods in order to make ManageIQ do what you need to do.

For myself, ManageIQ is like the Philharmonic’s conductor . Doesn’t plays any instrument , just tell the other how to play them and keeps them all syncronized and working together.

Going back to your question, please give me some more details of what you need to do with your two applications (replicate code , transfer files , comunicate the instances with a message system , etc ) , because maybe manageIQ is not the tool for the job.

Regards

PD: also English is not my primary language ,for that, sorry about my english.

Hi Pablohalamaj
Thanks for responding
Here I am describing what I want to achieve with Openstack and Amazon. I hope this will clarify what I meant by “hybrid cloud” and will you please tell me whether ManageIQ is right tool or not for my job?

I am running the same application on Openstack private cloud and Amazon public cloud. I want to keep all the data private. So I want Openstack to take care of this. These data will go through a number of steps (each step is performing some computation on data) to produce final output. Because computation requires a lot of memory, so I want Amazon public cloud to perform computation on data. Computation will be performed by application running on Amazon. Again I want final output to be private. So in short, I want Openstack to take care of data handling part and Amazon to take care of computation part.

Is this possible through ManageIQ? If this is possible, how can I achieve this?
If this is not possible through ManageIQ, can you suggest me some opensource tool or platform that can help me in achieving the goal?

Thanks and Regards

@anil987

I may be missing something, but what will EC2 be doing computation on?

Typically you would be computing against the data set that you seem to indicate you want on OpenStack. If that is your goal you can make the data available via the Internet using NFS, Swift, a DB or some other mechanism and run computations on EC2. You would not have data at rest in Amazon, but it would still not be private as you would essentially be pulling and pushing data from Amazon. This is likely to be slow and expensive.

Hi ewannema

From your response, it seems that I can achieve some of my requirements.

I just want to clarify few points at this stage to avoid further confusion

• As I have mentioned earlier, first of all I want to create hybrid cloud from Openstack and Amazon for testing and proof of concept purpose. This involves working with hybrid cloud and exploring how two clouds (private and public) interact with each other and how can I achieve some task using hybrid cloud. Can ManageIQ helps in creating hybrid cloud and achieving these goals? If it is possible, then how? Can you mention the steps to do that? Or can you provide some links that can help in setting hybrid cloud with ManageIQ?

• I forget to mention that, the requirement I have mentioned earlier is not the final requirement. Sorry for that. I have mentioned that the Openstack will take care of data. I have taken data as an example. In addition to data, it can keep other things private.

I have a doubt from your responce

• You have mentioned that I need Internet connection to sent and receive data from Amazon. Does it mean that I don’t need ManageIQ for my requirement? All I need is an Internet connection? Please correct me if I have misunderstood your response.

Can you please provide some links from where I can achieve the things, you have mention in your response

Thanks and Regards

@anil987

Your project sounds like it could be large and I do not believe that we can work through it all here.

I would recommend that you map out the services that you want in OpenStack and the ones you want in Amazon. From there you can determine how they must communicate.

As pablohalamaj mentioned, ManageIQ does not provide the services, but rather helps to provision, monitor, and control workloads (primarily virtual machines). If you are only provisioning a few machines to test interoperability between Amazon and OpenStack you probably do not need ManageIQ.

Hi anil,

I thought I’d clarify a couple things that you keep asking about.

So you have openstack running internally on a local server/computer where you have a web application running, and you have another web application running out in an Amazon EC2 instance. Correct? You keep asking how ManageIQ can help you create a hybrid cloud. I just wanted to clarify that the fact that you have openstack running in a private cloud and managing that, and you have instances running in amazon ec2 or the public cloud, you already have a hybrid cloud running. A hybrid cloud is nothing more than a description of an environment that is utilizing both a private cloud and a public cloud (which you are doing).

What ManageIQ would help you with is a single interface that you could use to manage, monitor, and automate the provisioning, reporting, policy management, and more of your hybrid cloud environment (which, again, you already have up and running from the fact that you have a private cloud and a public cloud in your current infrastructure).

So for instance, you can launch instances in both Amazon and Openstack from within ManageIQ. Once those instances are up and running, you can attach policies and quotas to those instances such that if you start to exceed a certain cpu threshold on one of your instances or a memory threshold that is about to be exceeded, ManageIQ can not only notify you of the problem that is occuring, but you can also setup automated tasks to run when these problems arise and have ManageIQ correct the problem for you without you having to do any work.

With that said, not everything comes right out of the box. ManageIQ comes with many preloaded policies and automation methods built into it, but if it doesn’t exist there, it provides the tools (via a nice REST API) to allow you to create the methods and functions to perform the jobs you need done in all your clouds (whether they are openstack/private cloud environments or amazon/public cloud environment or infrastructure virtualization environments such as vmware or red hat enterprise virtualization.

I hope this cleared up some of what ManageIQ can be used for when it comes to supporting a Hybrid Cloud Environment. And again to be clear, based on your current environment setup, you already have a hybrid cloud environment running, ManageIQ would simply be the way you could manage all of it through a single web interface.