Limit for Ansible Tower

Hi guys,

I’ve been able to create a service that invokes an Ansible Tower template. While it launches successfully, I have been unable to make use of the limit feature available in the dialog. I was under the impression that by using the limit field, i’d be able to force Tower to run the job on a single host if required. However, this doesn’t seem to be the case. In my play i’ve tried setting the hosts tag to ‘all’ and to a specific group but neither has worked. I obviously can’t remove the hosts tag otherwise Tower won’t read the file as a play.

It would appear that Tower isn’t even using what’s being passed by limit and it’s just using the hosts field in the play by default. What am I missing? Or have I misunderstood the use of the limit option in the dialogue?

I should also point out, that the VM’s i’m running these plays against are not managed by ManageIQ.

Kind regards,

A.

Have you selected Prompt on launch within the job template? See https://pemcg.gitbooks.io/mastering-automation-in-cloudforms-4-2-and-manage/content/running_an_ansible_tower_job_from_a_button/chapter.html#_job_template

Check your Tower jobs to see if limit was passed to the template.

That’s exactly what I missed. Apologies, I overlooked that section as I wasn’t creating a button.

Thank you for your help. Appreciated!

A.