Good morning @pemcg.
The list you presented will really help leap MIQ into serious enterprise models. I am interested in all of these and I very much understand that many variants will arose from the different architecture design deployed to meet the business needs. With time I am certain I can contribute to some of those initiatives but to do so I need to establish a basic distributed architecture implementation in a lab and that is the main reason I started this tread. After several attempts at browsing the documentation and several blogs, I find myself still trying the hard way (i.e. trials and errors) in coming up with the recipe to implement multi-region architecture (e.g. how to configure MIQ into several Regions, each Region containing several zones). For example:
- To change the region ID via the appliance_console I discovered I had to select 3) Configure Database, then 4) Reset Configured Database, but before stop the EVM server in order to change the ID.
- Then the question about replication of databases. Seems intuitive from within a region but yet how do configure it. Then the harder question, how to you replicate regions database with the super region database so you can use the super region database as your CMDB, what’s the recipe?
These are my initial challenges. I have a rough time believing I am the first one attempting such an implementation so this is why I was asking to be pointed to the documentation that will help me achieve the implementation. Once I have the implementation establish then I will venture into many functional testing of the environment that I am certain will assist in tweaking many of the points from your list in the previous post. For example:
- Scaling a region (i.e. adding appliance to optimize)
- Evaluating the replication of policies across the architecture
- Evaluating the replication of catalogs
- Workload placements/migrations
- Integration of an external federated user authentication infrastructure (i.e. access any portal with the same credentials)
It goes without saying that being privy to look at your draft would certainly assist in understanding many of the associated challenges.
I hope this clarifies my request and I certainly hope you can see that the work can also contribute to your objectives as well as the MIQ community.