Service UI and Angular and VueJS

ui

And that is all in the context where 2 months ago the SUI team was going to do Angular 4 and 2 weeks ago Chris suggested looking into React.

It was a suggestion. Everyone keeps talking about re-using code. If that is how everyone feels, then great…then expanding logic, since most of the other projects in RH are moving to React…we should look to do that as well.

Can we, please, start over by saying in open what is the goal here?

Sure, and again I apologies for the confusion with the original post.

Goal: We are at the point to start full throttle to Angular 4. Our team as looked at moving, and it is a MASSIVE redo for us. The question is, given that difficulty, should we evaluate another framework? Based on team experience; VueJS would provide the easiest path; totally open for discussion.

So, the questions that we should be able to answer is:

1. Should we change frameworks before we pass the point of no return?

2. If so, what framework would that be?

@chriskacerguis: What I am trying to say for 2 years now is “The OPS UI IS past the point of no return” with the Angular rewrite.

The OPS UI is big and a rewrite takes long. Important part of the rewrite is decoupling things so that future rewrites are less painful. But the rewrite has to be finished.

At the same time the things around envolve and we have to react to that. The idea is to support Angular 1.x, Angular 2/4 and React in the OPS UI.

Angualar 1.x is a must because we ARE PAST THE POINT OF NO RETURN.

Angular 2 is what we see as a future with an existing, proven and tested transition path. Angular 1 and 2/4 can coexist, people and companies use those together.

React is the cool kid on the block. It is being used by other projects in the company, there will be a lot of code that we could benefit from written in React. There’s a way to host React component in Angular apps and we can do that in OPS UI too. We can enable other teams to do their stuff in React inside OPS UI.

Angular 1.x, Angular 2 and even React are going to receive more or less support from Patternfly.

Now tell me, why would someone want to add VueJS in the mix? Unless you really care only about SUI or don’t understand the situation you cannot be serious!

I suggest that your team spend a sprint or two on OPS UI to get a realistic picture and we get to the same page. I can understand that you might not believe that I have a realistic picture about SUI but I believe noone doubts that @himdel has it.

Guys, if the 3 of you in SUI decided that you don’t want to do Angular, try pushing React. I would not agree, but would not see it as such a huge nonsense as using VueJS. And I believe you will find more people that will share this view.

And a history note that I just have to make: @chriskacerguis, do you know what was one of the arguments for OPS UI to do Angular and not EmberJS?

It was the fact that the thing that was to become the SUI was already using Angular.

What exactly do you mean by this? What are conditions for Ops UI to be ready? Ready for Vue transition? Is this discussion about both UIs going Vue at some point? Without POC that Angular and Vue can coexist as we need them to it seems that SUI and OPS UI have to stay together on Angular or go their separate ways.

POC from you guys may move this discussion a lot :slight_smile:

@chalettu:
I have no need to to prove this framework is useful. Github usage does a fairly solid job of proving that point for me . Just look at the Github stars between the 4 major frameworks we are talking about. In a year Vue has beat out both versions of Angular and is not far behind React in terms of developer sentiment.

1.React 71,428
2.Vue 60,681
3. Angular 26,030
4. Angular.js 56,513

I don’t think that counting stars gives us a representative result. It is a number of course, but a lot of devs (like me) aren’t starring GH repos (because e.g. they don’t know it’s possible). For me it’s something like measuring a developer’s productivity based on lines of code or number of commits. The only thing I can be relate to these stars is the hype around a project…

PS: jQuery has 45k stars :wink: