SmartState Analysis on Vmware Virtual Machines not working

SmartState Analysis on Vmware Virtual Machines not working … Unable to mount filesystem. Reason:[ERROR: VixDiskLibClient.connect() Unable to determine port used by VixDiskLib Server.] for VM: cfme001/cfme001.vmx]

Vddk verion 5.1

vcenter 5.1

Hi. VDDK version 5.1.0 has been disabled due to a known issue in the library as stated in the VMware Release Notes. I can’t tell from your issue if you are using 5.1.0 or another patch version. Newer versions should work ok. Please let me know if this helps.

Jerry

Have you placed credentials on your hosts?

I’d also like to note that the message you received if it is indeed an issue with an unsupported version of VixDiskLib is rather cryptic, and we are adding a change to return a message that is appropriate to the unsupported version.

I am experiencing the same error as OP. I have updated the vddk to 5.5.2-1890828.

Hi @awstaples. Would you be able to see if you have any “ffi-vixdisklib” messages in your vim.log? Thanks much.

Here is the vim.log. There are several entries that match your request.

Logfile created on 2014-07-14 17:42:21 -0400 by logger.rb/31641

ffi-vixdisklib: failed to load 5.5.0 version with error: Could not open
library ‘vixDiskLib.so.5.5.0’: vixDiskLib.so.5.5.0: cannot open shared
object file: No such file or directory.
Could not open library ‘libvixDiskLib.so.5.5.0’: libvixDiskLib.so.5.5.0:
cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory.
ffi-vixdisklib: failed to load 5.1.0 version with error: Could not open
library ‘vixDiskLib.so.5.1.0’: vixDiskLib.so.5.1.0: cannot open shared
Could not open library ‘libvixDiskLib.so.5.1.0’: libvixDiskLib.so.5.1.0:
ffi-vixdisklib: failed to load 5.0.0 version with error: Could not open
library ‘vixDiskLib.so.5.0.0’: vixDiskLib.so.5.0.0: cannot open shared
Could not open library ‘libvixDiskLib.so.5.0.0’: libvixDiskLib.so.5.0.0:
ffi-vixdisklib: failed to load 1.2.0 version with error: Could not open
library ‘vixDiskLib.so.1.2.0’: vixDiskLib.so.1.2.0: cannot open shared
Could not open library ‘libvixDiskLib.so.1.2.0’: libvixDiskLib.so.1.2.0:
ffi-vixdisklib: failed to load 1.1.2 version with error: Could not open
library ‘vixDiskLib.so.1.1.2’: vixDiskLib.so.1.1.2: cannot open shared
Could not open library ‘libvixDiskLib.so.1.1.2’: libvixDiskLib.so.1.1.2:
/var/www/miq/lib/VixDiskLib/VixDiskLib_FFI/api.rb:33:in <module:API>': ffi-vixdisklib: failed to load any version of VixDiskLib! (LoadError) from /var/www/miq/lib/VixDiskLib/VixDiskLib_FFI/api.rb:5:inmodule:VixDiskLib
from /var/www/miq/lib/VixDiskLib/VixDiskLib_FFI/api.rb:4:in
<module:FFI>' from /var/www/miq/lib/VixDiskLib/VixDiskLib_FFI/api.rb:3:in<top
(required)>'
from /opt/rh/ruby193/root/usr/share/rubygems/rubygems/custom_require.rb:36:in
require' from /opt/rh/ruby193/root/usr/share/rubygems/rubygems/custom_require.rb:36:inrequire’
from /var/www/miq/lib/VixDiskLib/vixdisklib_ffi.rb:9:in
<module:VixDiskLib>' from /var/www/miq/lib/VixDiskLib/vixdisklib_ffi.rb:4:inmodule:FFI
from /var/www/miq/lib/VixDiskLib/vixdisklib_ffi.rb:3:in <top (required)>' from /opt/rh/ruby193/root/usr/share/rubygems/rubygems/custom_require.rb:36:inrequire’
require' from /var/www/miq/lib/VixDiskLib/vixdisklib_api.rb:1:in<top
(required)>'
require' from /opt/rh/ruby193/root/usr/share/rubygems/rubygems/custom_require.rb:36:inrequire’
from /var/www/miq/lib/VixDiskLib/vixdisklib_server.rb:7:in <top (required)>' from /opt/rh/ruby193/root/usr/share/rubygems/rubygems/custom_require.rb:36:inrequire’
`require’
from /var/www/miq/lib/VixDiskLib/VixDiskLibServer.rb:9:in

Great. You are running from earlier code that only supported a small subset of the VixDiskLib versions. The latest code supports almost all versions and additionally provides more precise messaging when the version is not supported. If you can tell me whether you are running from either source or from a downloaded build I can tell you how to get the correct code.

I downloaded the basic demo manageiq product from the manageiq site, if
that is what you are asking. NOT the devel version.

Please let me know how to get the correct code, sir!!

Hi @awstaples. Do you know how to git pull source, or do you prefer a complete build?

Complete build please

I downloaded the manageiq ova template for vsphere. Are you suggesting a
new ova template or something else.

We are talking about uploading a new ova template.

Thank you! please let me know. Need to have the smart analysis working
before I can show MIQ to my management as a possible solution.

We’ve put a nightly build up on the downloads page.
Go to http://manageiq.org/download and scroll down to the bottom where it says
"Like Living on the Edge? Switch to developer snapshot mode…" and click on that link.
Follow the instructions for VMware vSphere.
This build will enable all supported versions of VixDiskLib. It should also enable the messaging for unsupported versions to be reflected in the UI if you attempt to use one. Currently the only unsupported recent (5.x and above) version is 5.1.0.
Please note the warning about this being a development build.

Installed the new ova template, and uploaded and installed vmware-vix-disklib 5.5.2 to it.
Added test vcenter, configured vcenter and host creds. Added the smart proxy role to the manageiq server.
if I select a VM from the list by check mark, then “perform smart state analysis” is available from the configuration drop down. if I click on an individual VM, the SSA choice is grayed out.
Regardless, the SSA on VM or set of Vms fails with: "No eligible proxies available for VM. … No active smart proxies found to analyze this VM."
Have searched this forum and google but found nothing…

Maybe I am missing a step.?

The problem you’re having can be caused by a combination of factors:

• First: make sure the required roles are enabled on the appliance:
  • Select Configure->Configuration
  • Under the Server tab, ensure SmartProxy and SmartState Analysis server roles are checked.
  • Second: By default, smart state analysis is performed through the host. So, you have to add user credentials for each host managed by the vcenter in question.
  • For each host select Configurateion->Edit this Host
  • Enter username/password for the host.
  • Select verify to ensure the credentials are correct.
  • Select Save

I hope this helps.

You mention that the default smart state analysis is performed through the host. Could you please explain the alternative method going through vCenter ?

One has to change the “coresident_miqproxy / scan_via_host” configuration item in “Configure -> Configuration -> Server -> Advanced”. So vCenter should handle the smart state analysis requests and we don’t need to access ESXi hypervisors. Are there other steps to perform ?

SSA on VMware fails with non-root user with Admin Priviliges

That’s it. If everything else is set up as I described, setting that value to false should obviate the need to add credentials for each host.

Indeed, it does not require host credentials. However, it seems it still requires a connection to the host, especially to the port 902. Is it an absolute requirement ? Could it connect only to vCenter ?

SmartState Analysis through vSphere (eg. with no connection to host)