[Solved] Split ManageIQ into separate containers for capabilities such as automate, control, etc

Hello,

Is it possible to split ManageIQ into separate containers, if for instance I am only interested in the Automate side of it? But in general I suppose, provision it in a microservices type architecture.

Thanks

There is a re-architecturing going on with the goal to split ManageIQ into multiple container. CloudForms 4.6 is actually available as containers and it is planned to have more smaller services deployable on Openshift, however it may take a few releases to get there.

• as far as I know it is not planned to target plain Kubernetes because of some missing features, but Kubernetes has had multiple releases since than and might be viable now
  • I have no idea about the roadmap on that feature
  • Disclaimer: I am working from my memory of a post I found a year/couple of months ago and cannot find at the moment. I might be wrong on all of this :sunglasses:

If you don’t add any providers, there shouldn’t be anything running, except only the necessary services and Automate. Do you have anything particular in mind you want to get rid of?

Hey buc, thanks for the info. This all looks great. Totally expect this to be a gradual process, its awesime to see much has been done and more is coming.:+1::sunglasses:Will the community miq also get the containerised architecture? Would these cf (miq) containers work on any container platform or do they only work on Openshift?

Thanks for the tip on not adding providers, having smaller containers is obviously more desired, but i can check this out for now.

The reason for question? Containerisation is all the rage at the mo :smirk: Lots of clients have “container first” approaches now. Taking that to miq would probably mean, we could start clients off with say only the automate containers or control containers and get further miq adoption incrementally. Personally I would like to have the service catalog based automate functionality only for now. Miq’s ability to automate end to end full stack (change, cmdb, ipam, anything with an api) is awesome.

Cheers

yes http://manageiq.org/docs/get-started/docker

I think the reason to target OpenShift instead of Kubernetes was, that Kubernetes did not support a few features (I think around Ingress/Routes), however it has been a while since I last heard of that project and Kubernetes is still very actively developed (and can do ingress now)

Thanks Buc.