Step by Step example or HOW-TO: Automate/Provision from Catalog new VM from Vmware Template

Hello everyone,

I am new to ManageIQ/CloudForms and am in need of some help. I have been investigating and reading through all the documentation but have been unable to grasp what needs to be done in order to automate a simple process such as:

• Via Catalog, click on “Order” to initiate a new VM provisioning process that will only request a VM Name

I am using Vmware. I have tested the provisioning via the “Provision VM” under Infrastructure --> Virtual Machines and this works correctly.

Now I want to create a very simple Catalog item such as explained above and then gradually build on other concepts such as integrating with our IPAM solution and etc.

I however need to start from somewhere but this start is proving more dificult that initially thought.

So wanted to ask two things:

1. Any step by step HOW-TO manage what I need? Something that will be clear and concise and put me on a right track?

2. If nothing such as above exists can someone sumarize the steps I should take in order to acomplish want I mentioned above? Just a quick summary that will allow me to look at specific areas of the documentation and at least have guidelines to accomplish the task I need.

Thanks in advance,

@marigold2048 @ramrexx Would you please respond on this topic?

Hi

Apologies for the delay in replying. You could checkout this: https://www.gitbook.com/book/pemcg/introduction-to-cloudforms-automation/details. It’s still a work-in-progress, so forgive the rough edges, but chapter 16 discusses services, including a step-by-step example of creating a service catalog item. The example creates the service in RHEV, but it would be the same principle to create it in VMware.

Hope this helps,
pemcg

Wow, this looks great!! Thanks!! Will go through it and if I have any questions I post them here, otherwise please accept my thanks in advance!!