Steps to Join Hyper V VMM to Manageiq

Dear All,

Manageiq Provider gives option for adding Microsoft Hyperv V VMM, but it continuously says wrong password.

Is there any correct way to add Hyper V to Manageiq.

In order to add scvmm as a provider to Cloudforms 3.1 the following has to be setup and configured on the system for authentication to work.

winrm has to be enabled and running.

winrm quick config

and the system will need to have the following variables configured for winrm.

winrm set winrm/config/client/auth @{Basic=“true”}
winrm set winrm/config/service/auth @{Basic=“true”}
winrm set winrm/config/service @{AllowUnencrypted=“true”}

Thanks for quick answer,

I am new to Manageiq could you please elaborate steps. Like how to enable winrm and change variables.

Thanks in Advance

Chan

The steps listed above will need to be enabled on the Windows SCVMM system.

Winrm quick config

The variables will need to be configured via the command line in Windows. Just copy and paste then execute.

Dear All,

Thanks for reply.

I could add Hyperv VMM on Manageiq. But no data is getting visible.

Please help.

Thanks

Hi
Can you look in the log files then copy and paste any errors to this thread.
You added “Hyperv VMM” but can you clarify if that is a HyperV server or a SCVMM provider?

thanks

I have added SCVMM

Chandra

Can anybody help ? Is any one could ADD Hyper V SCVMM with ManagqIq?

Chandra

Did you take a look at the logs? Any error messages?

Hi
can you make sure the remote execution policy is unrestricted on the SCVMM server:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee176961.aspx

I imagine it is set to “restricted” preventing the powershell cmdlets from being run. This change will be included in the next release.

thanks.

Hi,

I have enabled enabled remote execution policy. But still no data getting captured. Screen shot attached.

Hi All,

Is any one could add SVCMM with ManageIQ ??

Chandra

No response, seems Manageiq do not have capability to ADD SVCMM. If yes then why ManageIq gives statement that it can manage Hyper V also.

@chandrahasa01 Where did you see that it said we supported HyperV directly? Just curious because as far as I know we only support HyperV through SCVMM, so maybe the documentation is wrong.

In the past we supported HyperV directly (albeit very limited), but we found that in an enterprise installation, SCVMM was always used. Supporting HyperV would not be unlike supporting ESX directly…it’s possible, but seems pretty rare someone would have it without vSphere.

@chandrahasa01

1. Can you please paste into this thread any errors you find in the evm.log file, I expect you will find some.
  2. Can you log onto the SCVMM server as the same user you are using to add the SCVMM provider to ManageIQ, then run this cmdlet in a Powershell ISE, then share the results:

import-module virtualmachinemanager
Get-SCVirtualMachine -VMMServer “localhost”

1. What version of SCVMM are you using?
    4)What version of Powershell Are you using? (Check by running this in a Powershell window: $PSVersionTable.PSVersion)

@chandrahasa01
Did you have a chance to gather the above information?

thanks

1. Can you please paste into this thread any errors you find in the evm.log file, I expect you will find some.

I will share the EVM.log file error soon if any .

1. Can you log onto the SCVMM server as the same user you are using to add the SCVMM provider to ManageIQ, then run this cmdlet in a Powershell ISE, then share the results:

Get-SCVirtualMachine -VMMServer “localhost”

Above command lists all virtual machines that are running on SCVMM servers . Please let me know what information is needed exactly.

1. What version of SCVMM are you using?

I am using SCVMM 2012R2

4)What version of Powershell Are you using? (Check by running this in a Powershell window: $PSVersionTable.PSVersion)
Please find version as below
Major Minor Build Revision

4 0 -1 -1

@chandrahasa01

Usually the ExecutionPolicy or the WinRM Settings are wrong, or the version of Powershell or SCVMM are unsupported but it sounds like your environment is configured correctly. At this point we need the evm.log and scvmm.log files. However, in an effort to expedite a resolution to your problem you can run the following ruby script in your test environment, example usage is below, and send me the results:

PS_SCRIPT = <<-PS_SCRIPT
$result = @{
  "date"     = Get-Date;
  "vms" = Get-SCVirtualMachine
}
$result
PS_SCRIPT

require 'trollop'
opts = Trollop.options do
  banner "Sample Ruby/WinRM stript.\n\nUsage: rails runner #{$PROGRAM_NAME} [-- options]\n\nOptions:\n\t"
  opt :username,  "User Name",            :type => :string
  opt :ipaddress, "IP Address",           :type => :string
  opt :port,      "Port (default 5985)",  :default => 5985
end

Trollop.die "username must be passed"  unless opts[:username_given]
Trollop.die "ipaddress must be passed" unless opts[:ipaddress_given]

url = "http://#{opts[:ipaddress]}:#{opts[:port]}/wsman"

require 'io/console' if RUBY_VERSION < "2"
STDOUT.write("Password: ")
password = STDIN.noecho(&:gets).chomp

puts

puts "Connecting..."

require 'active_support/core_ext'
silence_warnings { require 'winrm' }

winrm   = WinRM::WinRMWebService.new(url, :ssl, :user => opts[:username], :pass => password, :disable_sspi => true)
results = winrm.run_powershell_script(PS_SCRIPT)

errors  = results[:data].collect { |d| d[:stderr] }.join
puts errors
data    = results[:data].collect { |d| d[:stdout] }.join
puts data

Example usage:
ruby ruby_filename.rb --username “DOMAIN\VMMUSER” --ipaddress 1.2.3.4

You can also checkout my earlier post on the subject:

Hi All,

I have the same problem. In my scvmm.log is following error message:

MIQ(Class#log_dos_error_results) ‘uname’ is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Thanks for reply.

HI bronaghs,

Can you please help in running with mention ruby script, not sure from where and how to run this script.

Chandrahasa