/var partition is full

Hello,

Darga.
I installed the Darga version, and after 2 months running smoothly, I noticed the /var partition was full.
Searching through the directories, I saw there were some logs, but the main part is taken by /var/opt/rh/rh-postgresql94/lib/pgsql/data .
At first I thought it was the database that was too big, but it was before seeing there was a LVM partitionning offering PostgreSQL partition.
I guess at least 2 DBs are used by the Miq project, but about the first one (the /var/…) one, I see that the /dev/mapper/vg_system-lv_var LV is only 2GB wide, so not that big.

I would happily add an additionnal LUN to this appliance, but I’m not sure it’s the way to go.

What is the best practice to avoir this /var partition to fill up?

Thank you

@carbonin Can you help out here?

@neca

I’m guessing here, but the culprit is likely the app logs, that’s the only thing I know of that should be keeping significantly large files on that volume. You can vmdb; du -sh * to check out where the space is being used.

If it is the log directory, we added the ability to create a new volume for the evm log files in https://github.com/ManageIQ/manageiq/pull/12027, but that is only available in Euwe.

If you’re comfortable with it you should be able to expand the logical volume mounted at /var if you just want more space though.

Also, I would direct you at @Joe_Vlcek if you want to talk about tweaking how/when our logs get rotated.

Hello @neca

Would you be able to post the output from: df -h and cd /var/www/miq/vmdb/log; df -h .
That would help me get a solid idea of what’s what on your system.

@Joe_Vlcek

Hello,

I should have written what files I already wiped before posting :

• /var/www/miq/vmdb/log/evm.log was clearly the biggest
  • /var/www/miq/vmdb/log/top_output.log was also quite big
    For both, I did :
    # > big_log_file

In /var/www/miq/vmdb/log/, the rotation settings seem to be perfect, so no issue there.
I’m comfortable with managing LVM partitions, but the main point is about /var/opt/rh/rh-postgresql94/lib/pgsql/data getting bigger.
So my question is mainly centered around this postgresql DB.